April 7, 2010

How to get the "model-off-duty" look

Today I took advantage of the beautiful weather and took my break between classes to sit outside on campus and people-watch the FIT community. Summer outfits were out in full force because of the ninety degree weather, and a lot of individualized styles marched down 27th Street. As I watched the passerbys stroll fashionable to and from class, I noticed something... every few minutes a fellow classmate would walk by sporting a dress and close shoes combination. And then it hit me, this look is a definite translation from last fall's androgynous trend that was played up strongly with the oxford shoe. Ballet flats were out of the question today, but Keds, Vans, Sperrys, Toms and even Converse low-tops were on the rage - in both slide-in or lace-up styles. It got me to thinking about the look and then I remembered something: last summer I worked in production for a Danish advertisement and the model had worn this exact look to the shoot! A pink American Apparel cross-back dress with "optical white" chucks was her "model-off-duty" look. Although it may seem easy to get this care-free look, there is a fine line of how to stay sweet and simple without looking like you threw on the first thing in sight that morning. Think cute feminine sneaker shoes with a printed dress, or for a more hard-edge look, worn-in high-tops or slide-in vans with a basic cotton dress.

Here's how you can get the look:

No comments:

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...