January 26, 2010

Mademoiselle Coco



I watched Coco Chanel last night with my boyfriend (what a wonderful boyfriend right?) Besides the fact that it was about 2.5 hours, it was great! I have already told you about my obsession with Mary Kate and Ashley, but I don't believe I have filled you in about my obsession with Chanel. Here it goes...

Since day one of stepping into the Fashion Institute of Technology, my professors have been constantly stressing the importance of two questions that will "definitely" be asked at all fashion industry related job interviews - whether it be an internship or career based. 1. Who is your favorite photographer? .. and .. 2. Who is your favorite designer(s) and why? To be honest, I haven't decided on question #1 yet, but every season (fashion season that is) I have come closer and closer to declaring good ol' Chanel as my top choice to question #2.

Why you may ask? I love the stability of Chanel.. the classic roots that each collection reflects back to. However, every season, Karl Lagerfeld seems to surprise me, whether it is the elements of the garments, the detailing of the stitching, the silhouette's divine movement down the runway or whether it is the most updated approach to the classic Chanel suit. When looking at Chanel from season to season, there is always a smooth relation between each collection, yet a unique difference that makes each line so interesting.

But my fascination does not stop there! I took a class last year called Product Knowledge for Merchandising. It was a great class and we studied everything from jewelry design to handbag construction. Our final project was to write 10-15 page paper on a fashion-related company focusing on a product that the company specializes in. If you can't guess, I picked Chanel handbags and ended up writing 20 pages! I learned so much about the history of the company and how Gabrielle "Coco" Chanel started her career from nothing. It was all so intriguing and truely sparked my interest and love for Chanel.

For those who of you who do not know the full history of Chanel, there are countless numbers of books dedicated to the designer that I would highly recommend reading. I loved the movie too, however I think if I did not previously know about Coco's life, I would not have fully understood the storyline.

xoxo.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Lovely! I still haven't seen 'Coco', but I absolutely adore Audrey Tatou in most of her other movies. She's a style star in and of herself!

Erika Michel said...

Have you seen the Lifetime movie about coco?

L'amour de la mode said...

Yes I have.. It was great!

 
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...